China week in pictures | March 13-19, 2021
A weekly picture selection of other news and events in China...
1. March 13 – More than 12,000 medics from around China who fought against COVID-19 last year in Wuhan returned to Wuhan University to witness the spectacular cherry blossoms.
2. March 14 - Longtaitou Festival (龙抬头) or Dragon Heads Raising Day is an ancient festival held on the 2nd day of the 2nd month of the lunar calendar, honoring the Chinese dragon and praying for springtime rainfalls for a good harvest. It is custom to cut your hair on this day for a blessed year, usually the first haircut since the new year. Hair salons in China are usually packed on this day.
3. March 16 – Traditional Chinese Medicine Day. Students watch as a traditional Chinese medicine physician performs cupping therapy at a hospital in Hefei, Anhui province. This annual day commemorates a time-honored way of curing and caring for people's health.
4. March 15 - Data Security issues takes center stage at CCTV’s 315 Grand Consumer Rights Gala on TV. About 20 major domestic and foreign brands were exposed and Monday’s gala exposed how have been using facial-recognition cameras in their shops to collect biometric information from their customers, including Kohler and BMW.
5. March 15 - Beijing and Northern China witness heaviest sand storm since decades.
6. March 17 - Emergency exercises on a ski run at the National Alpine Skiing Center in Beijing's Yanqing district. The exercises are part of preparations for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games, with the site set to host Alpine skiing events during the Games.
Picture courtesy : various news sites or own photography