Rabbits and self-made female billionaires...
Yesterday HURUN released the 2021 edition of the Greater China Rich List.... 2,918 individuals spread across 200 cities have each a wealth of more than CNY 2 billion (about USD 310 million) with a total wealth of USD 5.3 trillion.
(click to open report)
I will not bore you with all list details, you can check the list in link at the end of this post. Few remarkable notes though;
* There are 𝟰𝟬% 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲 𝗥𝗮𝗯𝗯𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲 𝗥𝗮𝘁𝘀 on the list. Coming in second and third are the Dragons and Snakes. The second worst billionaire performer is this year's Ox.
If you would think this is a coincidence, Rabbits have been the top performers on the list for 10 consecutive years and the list has dramatically changed with newcomers in the past decade.
For example, there is only one individual who made it both to the top 10 both this year's list and the 2011 list and about 𝟱𝟬% 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲𝘁𝗲 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟭 𝗹𝗶𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘄𝘀 𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝟱 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗴𝗼.
Rabbits were born in 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011. The next "wave of rabbit billionaires" will be born in 2023, young families keep this in mind 😊
* 𝗙𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗹𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘂𝗽 𝟮𝟲% of the Hurun list (compared to about 12% worldwide). And 𝟲 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝟭𝟬 𝗮𝗿𝗲 "𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳-𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲" female billionaires (17% of female billionaires in the world are "self-made")
* 𝟮𝟴 𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝟯𝟬 𝗼𝗳 𝘄𝗵𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝟭𝟬𝟬% 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳-𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲; Nie Yunchen of milk tea brand Heytea and Lu Jianxia, who set up Manner Coffee chain with her husband Han Yulong.
* The steep rise; while there were 𝘇𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗨𝗦𝗗 𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗖𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗮 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝟵𝟵𝟵 (and in 2002, 2003), it surpassed 100 in 2007, 250 in 2011, 500 in 2015 and 1,000 in 2021.
* Top 5 cities : Beijing (341), Shenzhen (301), Shanghai (294), Hangzhou (171), Hongkong (151)
* Hurun estimates approximately another 4,000 individuals in China who fit the CNY 2 billion wealth criterium, the bulk of which are very low-key.
“𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘦 ‘𝘏𝘶𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘙𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘓𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳’ 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘯 𝘪𝘯 1965, 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘪𝘯 1994 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 29, 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 2012 𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 47, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘸 56 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘜𝘚$1.9𝘣𝘯.”
Link to Hurun China Rich List 2021